The Purchase Process
If you live in a region like New England that’s prone to bad weather and power outages, you understand the importance of protecting your home or small business with backup power. After Superstorm Sandy and Snowstorm Nemo, having a backup power system is virtually a must.
But buying a home generator can be intimidating. Thankfully, KOHLER Generator dealers are there to help – knowledgeable and very easy to work with.
We’ve outlined the process of buying a generator so you’ll know what to expect.
1. Find your local authorized KOHLER Generators dealer. They’re your best source of information. Powers Generators services all of New England. Here’s a link to our website if you’d like to learn more about us: www.powersgenerator.com.
2. Determine if a KOHLER generator will fit on your property. There are codes and safety regulations regarding where your generator can be installed. Your local dealer will come over and take a look at your property and make recommendations as to where your generator can safely be installed.
3. Work together to find the generator that fits your needs. We’ll discuss what you want the generator to support. You’ll need to prioritize what you want to during an outage: your entire home or only critical items such as the sump pump, air conditioning and refrigeration. Once your dealer understands your priorities and budget, you can choose the right generator for you.
4. Select your fuel type. KOHLER generators can be powered by liquid propane gas (LPG) or natural gas (NG). For LPG, we’ll provide a recommendation of how many gallons you’ll need to have to support your generator. For NG, we’ll provide you with information to give to your gas company so they can determine if your gas meter can support your generator.
5. The installation begins. If your dealer is a full-service generator company like us, they’ll provide everything and perform a turn-key electrical installation. We’ll even take care of the local electrical permits and partner with a gas fitter for the gas connection. A typical installation takes about one to three days.
6. Maintain your new generator. After your installation is complete, it’s important to follow the maintenance schedule that’s outlined in your owner’s manual and register your generator’s warranty. At Powers Generator Service, we’ll take care of the registration and initial start-up for you. Like every KOHLER Generator dealer, we’ll stand behind you with preventive maintenance, repairs and emergency service 24/7, 365 days a year.